Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Catching Up

It has been a good 2 months since I blogged. As a good friend said "sometimes life just gets in the way." That is so true. A lot has happened in the last 2 months. This is my attempt at catching up.

I wanted to blog about the year in review. 2008 was an eventful year. Many of my friends had babies. The first one born is already a year old. So hard to believe! Time sure does fly when you least expect it to. Having all these babies around does start to give one baby fever. Derric has said he wanted one awhile ago. Actually he said he wanted 11 - his defensive line. I have talked him down ( I think). I'm trying to take one thing at a time right now.

After living in the too cramped piece-of-crap apartment that made me sick, we were fortunate to find the home of our dreams. We found a loft downtown on Washington Avenue. It's a 2 bedroom, 2 bath on the top floor. We face north-west towards Delmar & Grand Avenue. We moved in the first weekend of August. It took awhile but we finally settled in. We still have quite a few things in storage at my mom's house, but one resolution is to clear that out. We've done a few projects including building a gallery down the hall and painting. It's been over 6 months now. Where does the time go?

My youngest brother, Greg, came home on leave for 30 days over the holiday. He re-enlisted in the Marines and was given quite a nice leave. I was fortunate enough to have a week and a half paid vacation from work. I got to spend time with my family and relax from work.

Christmas day my life changed. My boyfriend of 3.5 years asked me to marry him! Of course I said yes. I had to wait 10 days for my ring to be sized. Those were the longest 10 days of my life! Now my free time is spent looking for venues, caterers, and everything related to weddings. I've been to 2 bridal shows and learned a lot. On my most recent trip to the Container Store I purchased a bag to store my wedding loot, magazines, samples, etc. It even matches the color & pattern that I want for the wedding.

In January we had another party. The after holiday destressor party. It was a fun time with lots of great friends & family, great food & drinks too. This one didn't run as late as previous parties but it was after the 3am timeframe. We know how to have a good time.

My goal this year is to get organized. I want to get organized financially, householdly (is that a word?), and physically. I have read a lot about getting your finances organized. I think the idea is simple, but actually following through is the tough part. I am paying my student loans, credit cards, utilities, and rent while trying to save up to have a spectacular wedding. That is impossible for me to do right now. I am determined though to make all this work.

Derric bought a great magazine on how to organize your home top to bottom in 12 months. You take a different room each month and totally organize it. I haven't made much progress since it's already February and I haven't organized a room yet. I lost the magazine. That should tell you how organized I am! Geez!

Every year I make a resolution to get in shape (and who doesn't?) This year I'm going at it again. After Christmas I stepped on the scale and realized that I weighed more than I ever have in my life. I was not happy with myself over that. Since then I have lost 10 pounds by eating healthier and working out. Derric mentioned wanting to do the low carb diet. We decided to do that together. I did it when I was in grad school and lost over 40 pounds. It was at that time I met Derric and became 'fat and happy'. But now I'm serious about it again. I forgot how hard it is initially to get in the low carb mindset. I am doing better than Derric, but it is still difficult.

I also wish to be more active in posting blogs, taking pictures, and documenting life.

No comments: