Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I'm not ready yet

I'm so not ready for Christmas. Years ago I worked retail at Garbage Ridge when I was in undergrad. We received Halloween/Fall decorations in June and Christmas decorations in July. I always hated that. Nobody buys that stuff that early and those who do are just crazy!

This past Friday evening I met a friend and her two kids at MidRivers Mall for dinner and shopping. I was informed that at 6:45 the man in red would be parading around the mall. Sure enough after we finished eating we heard the boom, boom, boom of a drum followed by the out of tune sound of musicians honking away at Jingle Bells. It was a mini-parade complete with candy canes, a marching band, and the man of the night.....Santa. Friday was opening night for pictures with Santa. I couldn't believe the line of people that were there to get their children photographed. We waved and smiled at Santa and reminded the kids that Santa was watching so they had better be on their best behavior.

Just last night I saw the Hershey's commercial with the kisses as bells playing "We wish you a Merry Christmas". I love these commercials but come on! Why do we have to start the season so early? After Thanksgiving I am all ready for the Christmas season. I go every year to the Santa Claus parade in Belleville on the day after Thanksgiving. Early to middle November is too soon for Christmas! 

No comments: