Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksturkeyparadeball Day!


Derric and I had our family and friends over to our place this afternoon. It took some hard work and a lot of preparation, but it turned out wonderful! We started the day off early to get the turkey cooking and preping the sides. We watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and listened to music all morning. All the hard work paid off. We received so may compliments on the food. We ended up having 16 guests (including ourselves) so we had to be crafty with the seating arrangements. I set up a card table and brought in the patio table. We also used the coffee table in addition to our kitchen table.

We went shopping last week at SNS to take advantage of the $10 off $50 or more. I had to make a quick Schnucks stop last night after work. Big Mistake! They had a guy directing traffic to available parking spots! Luckily it was a quick trip and I was in and out in less than 10 minutes. We had such good food. I'm still stuffed now. We had turkey, ham, dressing (2 kinds), mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberries (2 kinds), macaroni and cheese, broccoli rice caserole, sweet potato souffle, stuffed mushrooms, rolls, pumpkin bars, pumpkin dip, pumpkin pie, and apple pie. I also made a signature drink that consisted of gingerbread syrup, sprite zero, and captain morgan rum. 

We drove our friend home after the festivities and decided to drive by some of the big stores to see if anyone was getting ready for the Black Friday sales. Keep in mind this was 6:30 pm. We drove by Circuit City first. We didn't see anyone at first but we saw a guy once we drove by. He had a sleeping bag, backback, and a small tv. Wow! I couldn't believe it. The next stop was Best Buy. There were not 1, not 2, but 3 tents pitched by the door. There were also approximately 15-20 chairs set up there as well. Everyone had their Post Dispatch checking out the ads for tomorrow morning. When we drove by again to leave the lot there was a guy lighting a heater that was attached to a propane tank. Flames were flying out. Damn! Our final drive by was Walmart. We saw people walking around the store but realized they were employees that were preparing for tomorrow's festivities. People were lined up around the side of the building. I saw at least 1 tent and police were out too. I guess some shoppers have the tendency to get out of hand. Derric and I decided that we are going to start a tradition of driving around Thanksgiving night and laugh at all of the crazy people who are camping out over night at the stores.

I do not partake in the early morning craziness of Black Friday. I also do not shop the stores that stay open on Thanksgiving - Kmart & Garden Ridge to name a couple. I've had to work retail on holidays and believe there is no reason for places to be open on holidays with the exception of gas stations and the occasional Walgreens. People should be with their families on holidays, not working retail!

I have so many blessings to be thankful for. I'm thankful for my family - I wouldn't be here or the person I am today without them. I'm thankful for my friends who mean so much to me. I'm thankful for my job which I have been at for the past 3 years. I'm thankful for having a (very trendy) roof over my head especially since the way the economy is. I'm thankful for my car which gets me where I need to be despite all of the problems it encounters. Finally I'm thankful to have someone in my life that loves me as much as I love him - my rock, my partner in crime, the love of my life, and my best friend. 

No comments: